Voter study 2009

 \  European Election Studies  \  EES 2009 Study  \  Voter study 2009  

Research Design

The EES 2009 Voter Study  study was  funded by the PIREDEU project. It focuses in particular on the direct elections to the European Parliament, which were conducted in June 2009 and was fielded immediately following these elections.

The EES 2009 Voter Study is a sample survey of the electorates of the member states of the 27 members of the European Union.  The scientific objectives of the group responsible for the Design of the Voter Survey were to carry out a survey among representative samples of enfranchised citizens in all 27 member states of the EU immediately after the European elections of June 2009 ensure that the data from these studies can be linked to the other PIREDEU data. The sample size was roughly 1,000 interviews in each EU member state. Data collection was done by CATI phone interview. In seven countries (Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, and Slovakia) representative phone sampling was not feasible. In these countries, 70 percent of interviews were achieved by face-to-face mode, while the remaining 30 percent was achieved by phone. The total sample size is approximately 27,000.

The questionnaires for the study were identical in the various member states, apart from minor but unavoidable differences generated by differences in party names and country-specific institutions. A large number of questions were identical to those used in the 1989, 1994, 1999 and 2004 study, thus permitting over-time comparisons of voter behavior in between the 1989 and 2009 elections.

The final selection of topics and questions includes: electoral behavior including questions on party choices, past voting behavior, voting behavior at the national level, party preferences, and propensity to support particular parties; general political attitudes and behavior based on a question of interest in politics, campaign, most important problems, attitudes regarding EU, left-right self-placement, placement of parties; background characteristics including gender, age, education, religion, media consumption.

How to cite this data: Egmond, Marcel van; Brug, Wouter van der; Hobolt, Sara; Franklin, Mark; Sapir, Eliyahu V. (2013): European Parliament Election Study 2009, Voter Study. GESIS Data Archive, Cologne. ZA5055 Data file Version 1.1.0, doi:10.4232/1.11760


Release notes

GESIS Data Archive

The data and extensive documentation are available at the Cologne-based GESIS Data Archive for the Social Sciences